|Home>>Bare Acts>>Back to Index|
35. Repatriation of assets and liabilities in the case of foreign insurers in certain cases.- (1) Any insurer incorporated outside India may, before the appointed day, make an application to the Central Government stating that among the assets appertaining to the controlled business of the insurer of building up his life insurance business in India, which, notwithstanding anything contained in section 7, should not be transferred to and vested in the Corporation.
(2) On receipt of an application under sub-section (1), the Central Government shall determine the value of the assets of the insurer appertaining to his controlled as at that date in accordance with the provisions contained in paragraph 3 of Part B of the First Schedule, and deduct therefrom the total amount of the liabilities of the insurer appertaining to his controlled business in existence on the 31st day of December 1955, computed as at that date in accordance with the provisions contained in the Second Schedule; and if there is any excess, the Central Government may, by order, direct that such assets equivalent in value to the excess as may be specified in the order shall not be transferred to or vested in the Corporation, or where the order is made after the appointed day, that the Corporation shall be divested of the said assets.
(3) In the case of any insurer incorporated outside India, the Central Government may also, by order, direct that any such liabilities in respect of life insurance policies expressed in any foreign currency issued on the lives of persons who are not citizens of India as are specified in the order together with any such assets necessary to meet the liabilities, as may be so specified, shall not be transferred to or vested in the Corporation or, if the order is made after the appointed day, that the Corporation shall be divested of such liabilities and assets as aforesaid.
(4) The amount of liabilities in respect of the policies referred to in an order made under sub-section (3) shall be computed as at the 31st day of December, 1955,—
(a) in any case where in respect of the insurer concerned an order has been made under sub-section (2), in accordance with the provisions contained in clause
(b) of the Second schedule; and (b) in any other case, in accordance with method A specified in the Second Schedule.
Explanation.—In computing the amount of liabilities in respect of the policies referred to in this sub-section, allowances shall be made for receipts and payments in respect of such policies from the 31st day of December, 1955, upto the date of the order.
(5) Every order made by the Central Government under this section shall be carried out by the Corporation in such manner as the Central Government may direct.
Copy right : Indu Info (All rights reserved)